To crack CLAT 2023, the candidate must be sure of the content and the CLAT study material for better preparation. With ample study material available online and offline, it is difficult to identify the best and the most appropriate material for CLAT 2023 preparation. Here is a ready-to-use guide to choosing your CLAT study material 2023.
CLAT 2023: Overview
|Name of the Examination||Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)|
|Exam date||18 December 2022|
|Exam Duration||Two Hours|
|Number & Name of Sections||Five Sections (Verbal Ability, General Knowledge, Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, Legal Reasoning)|
|No. of Questions||CLAT UG-150 Questions
CLAT PG- 120 Questions
|Marking Scheme||+1 Mark (correct answer) & -0.25 Mark (incorrect answer)|
|Exam Mode||Pen and Paper Mode|
|Conducting Body||Consortium of NLUs|
|Total number of participating institutes||22 NLUs except for National Law University, Delhi.|
CLAT 2023: Syllabus
You should know the CLAT syllabus well to select appropriate CLAT study material. Even though the Consortium is yet to release the syllabus for CLAT 2023, we can still refer to the exam syllabus that has been followed for the past many years.
Section I – English
The questions in this section aim to test the candidate’s comprehension skills through passages of 450 words each. The passages will be about some historical and recent events. The passages can be fictional as well as non-fictional.
Section II – Current Affairs
This section includes questions from Static GK, politics, Sports, famous personalities, prizes and awards, world affairs etc.
Section III- Legal reasoning
The questions in this section will check the candidates’ aptitude for legal studies. Passages will state current or static news that is law related. Study of law, Legal GK, current affairs, International treaties, Court Decisions/Judgements etc., are some of the important topics of this section.
Section IV- Logical Reasoning
This section assesses the Verbal reasoning skills of the candidates. Topics like syllogism, directions, puzzles, cause & effect, clocks & calendars, logical sequencing etc., will be included.
Section V- Quantitative Techniques
This section intends to assess the quantitative aptitude of the candidates. The section includes topics from elementary mathematics. Most questions are related to bar graphs, charts and other graphical representations. Apart from this, algebra, profit loss, measurement, speed & distance, work & time, and other elementary mathematics topics are important.
Once you know the syllabus, you can know which study material you must choose.
How to select the right study material for CLAT 2023 preparation?
There are several books available out there. Each year multiple publication houses publish their books for CLAT and other competitive exams. To not get lost in all the study material available, you should know the features and importance of a good book and choose the best book for CLAT preparation.
- Go for books from renowned publishers. The study material provided by known and reputed publishers is more reliable. Therefore, books from these publishers can be considered a good resource for CLAT preparation.
- The candidates must prefer new editions. Even though the CLAT syllabus and the exam pattern do not change frequently, revised editions provide the latest and updated information about the exam pattern.
- Look through the content of the book. The book must contain all the topics prescribed as per the new syllabus of CLAT 2023.
CLAT Study Material 2023
Efforts in the right direction will more likely get you a good CLAT score. To get directions to your efforts, choosing appropriate resources from the vast pool of study material available in the market is important. Here, we recommend some good books and techniques for CLAT preparation 2023.
For the preparation of English and reading comprehension, you can refer to:
- Wren and Martin
- Norman Lewis
The candidate can prepare for logical reasoning from the following resources:
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
To enhance or build legal aptitude, you can get these books:
- Universal’s CLAT Guide
- LexisNexis Butterworths
- Bare Acts on the Indian Constitution
- Legal Awareness and Legal Aptitude by AP Bhardwaj
General Knowledge and Current affairs
Since the topics under general awareness and current affairs are vast, you can’t just stick to books, so apart from books, you need to teach some exercises in your CLAT preparations.
- Read a newspaper daily like the Hindu, The Indian Express or the Live mint.
- Check out online editorial articles.
- Read monthly current affairs magazines.
Along with this, you can refer to the following books:
- Manorama Yearbook
- Lucent’s GK
- Pratiyogita Darpan
- For General knowledge, read history, polity, economics and environment of 12th Standard.
You can refer to the following books to prepare for the CLAT mathematics:
- Universal’s Elementary Mathematics (Numeral Ability) by Jain Prateek
- Mathematics for CLAT & AILET by LAWGICIANS
- Mathematics for CLAT by Shailesh Kumar
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S. Aggarwal
- Magical Book On Quicker Maths by Tyra
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha
These CLAT study materials are from reputed publishers and provide updated content to the candidates. With good CLAT study material, the candidates can prepare better for CLAT 2023. Stay focused and witness your dream to get into a top Law school turning into reality.