Really tiny in size, about a quarter of a millimetre. These parasites cannot be noticed as it happens with an ant or another insect, plus they are harmful to our health, as they feed on human skin and cause allergies.
No drama: it is one of the arias sung with passion by any tenor, but those who are unable to eliminate the infamous mites that lurk in the mattress could scream it very well. Sleep is essential for many reasons related to health and its quality also depends on hygiene. This is why a good mattress must be soft and comfortable, as well as perfectly clean.
Unfortunately, the mites are quite resistant, also because it is something that is invisible to the naked eye. As an ancient Chinese saying goes, when you know your enemy, victory is certain, so it is useful to learn more about what exactly mites are.
Why do mites form
Mites are nothing more than arachnids that are really tiny in size, around a quarter of a millimetre. These parasites cannot be noticed like an ant or other insect, plus they are harmful to our health, as they feed on human skin and cause allergies.
One of the main problems they cause is that of the respiratory system, as they are associated with many intolerances to dust. To eliminate them and prevent them from proliferating in the mattress, a series of precautions must be followed.
Tips for having a clean mattress
The choice of mattress should be made with great care. For example, it is preferable to choose an anti-mite and breathable one, while the ideal pillows are those in cans or polyurethane to make life impossible for the mites. With some good practices, then, it is possible to avoid the proliferation of parasites:
- ventilate the room as much as possible after you wake up;
- vacuum the mattress with great care and regularly;
- use mattresses and pillows with removable covers for better washing;
- take advantage of the sunlight that bothers the mites;
- carry out washing at high temperatures.
Natural remedies are always useful and valuable for small and large household inconveniences. The same goes for the mattress and the mites: there are several products that can be used to disinfect in a satisfactory way what is the fundamental part of our bed. Are you curious to discover the most common ones? Here are the main ones:
- Baking soda: it should not be missing in any home, as it is versatile and can solve many problems. Economical and ecological, bicarbonate has a very powerful disinfectant action and any harmful substance can be eliminated. It also serves to prevent the formation of other mites by preventing their development. The advice is to sprinkle the surface of the mattress and leave the bicarbonate to act for several hours, then remove everything with a vacuum cleaner.
- Essential oils: the alternative is that of tea tree, lavender and eucalyptus based oils. They promote the hygiene of the mattress, disinfecting it with the use of a few drops and drying the surface with great care.
- Water and tea bags: using a sprayer you can also use a solution based on warm water and tea to obtain the same results in terms of sanitizing the mattress. After leaving the sachets to infuse, the liquid will be ready for cleaning, then allowing it to dry in the sunlight for a better effect.